Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pirates and Ninjas... and Puritans?!

In my sophomore English class in high school, our teacher Mr. Marcero asked us to imagine an experience we might have if lived in the time of Puritans and detail it in a short story.

If you learn anything from these posts, it should be never ask me to think about a hypothetical situation unless you want the result to be absolutely ridiculous.

For the assignment, I just wrote something fairly normal. But my head was buzzing with a new idea: me and my friends in the time of Puritans. (Puritans, I think, were what most people think when they think of Pilgrims. Except that they wore some drab colors other than just black and white, and they were extremely conservative and religious.)

Of course, there wasn't really a plot, per say. I think there was this idea that all of us were gathering in this one area in this huge valley somewhere from several different locations, but that sorta disappeared after a while. But there was a sort of a setting with some background...

- the Zills had come south from Ye Northern Woods (or possibly Yonder Northerne Woode, or something similar) in a wagon that had been previously used to sell tea.

- there were a lot of us who were Puritans, but several of us didn't really want to be, which I think is why we were all meeting in that valley, cuz I think later we (in class) learned about people meeting like that for some reason, but honestly I don't remember.

- I think there were a lot of very secret sort-of-romantic meetings - very secret cuz otherwise the Puritans would think we were sinning like mad, and sort-of-romantic cuz everyone was (a) trying to be secret, and (b) really awkward.

- of course not everyone had a Puritan-like personality, and were better imagined as pirates. the evil Brodie, for one. But I couldn't have just one pirate ship, and Debbie could not possibly be a Puritan, so she became Brodie's archrival. In this way, the focus of the story shifted over time from us being Puritans to us being pirates.

- There was at least one story, possibly two, of Debbie and crew rescuing or helping rescue girls from Brodie's ship. Who was Debbie's crew? Well, there was Moo and Grace and possibly Kitty and Julie, and maybe me.

- Problem was, it was hard for me to imagine Julie and maybe Moo too as a pirate, since I knew that Julie was like a 3rd degree blackbelt and Moriah was a gymnast. So instead they were ninjas. Ninjas and pirates working together? crazy, I know. but that's how it went.

- after a while I think Kitty had her own ship and crew but they often worked together with Debbie.

- No, I don't remember where the Zills went when the story switched over to pirates. it's possibly they were on Brodie's ship for a while, along with David, but Brodie's ship was constantly being attacked by Kitty and Debbie, and I think it eventually sank, but I wouldn't have hurt David or the Zills so either they just disappeared, went back to the mainland, or became part of Kitty's crew.

I think that's pretty much it for this story. There would be more, but it's been so long that I don't remember much. Next post's topic...I'd like to say it'll be Zilllets (pronounced "zill-lets" not "zillits" or "zillays" or anything else), but I'd like to warn you about various themes in my stories first, so the next post will probably that warning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment