Saturday, March 7, 2009

There's just never enough Zills in this world...

I should be studying for two exams next week, I really should, but I just can't concentrate with it being a Friday night and the guy across the hall playing music and damnit, I'm so SICK of studying and homework and all that crap -- yes, I know I just got back from a week of doing nothing but...still... >.<
So I feel like I should do something vaguely productive and by vaguely productive I mean, well, it's something I should do. it may not be academic but at least it has some purpose. whether that's entertainment or convincing you I'm insane, I'm not sure, but...here we go.

Zilllets. You can call them little Zills, you can call them ZTNG (Zills: The Next Generation), but I've always called them Zilllets - yes, with a triple l. I've told you I have a bit of an obsession with twins, and I've told you I like making up stories about my friends and their kids, and you might figure that because of that they feature in my stories, but here's the complete truth of it. Most of the crazy stories I thought up in high school were about my friends in the future, about Saline in the future. But they were really more about my friends' kids. And...a lot of them featured Zilllets.

And now is the time when I should probably warn the only person that I know for sure reads this occasionally that the specific Zill I seemed to focus on more in this regard was the one she's dating. I don't know why. And honestly it's possible he's already told her all about this whole crazy dealio. Of course it's also possible he has no idea I'm writing this blog. So.

Version 1.0 of the Zilllets (yes, there were versions. of course there were versions. a different major number indicates a different girlfriend, a different minor number might indicate a different age, different setting or something, not sure. Don't worry, I'll get to Version 3 eventually.) was sort of like...almost a demo. There was no plot. Actually, there was, but it was very simple. Parents get distracted, zilllets run away like the mischievous twin boys they were, run into a building, find a fun chem lab, I stop them, talk with them for a bit, realize who they are (try not to crack up), return them to their parents...using, I think, the method of leaving a cryptic and amusing message on their cell phones to get in touch with the parents in the first place. ZV1.0 was your basic set of seemingly innocent, angelic-looking, actually crazily mischievous, easily distracted, incredibly curious twin boys who just couldn't keep still. They had curly blond hair, blue eyes, and a good bit of musical talent already despite the fact that they were like 7 years old. And that's about it.

Version 2 of the Zilllets is probably the most detailed set of Zilllets to date. By most detailed, I mean, well, I spent a lot of time imagining them, so by the end of their run I had figured out lots of stuff. Lots of little stories. And one epic story. Oh, and in version 2 they have a little sister. I mean...they had names. Which are moot, now, of course, because everything about them is moot now, but it takes me a while to come up with names and actually stick to them. Actually in this case I interviewed people and picked the names I liked best for the twins but still. I'd love to get into the many adventures they had (the epic adventure, band camp, the crazy DDR madness, how they and their little sister (and Katy's daughter, too) all saved the band at different points) but that in itself would take up many posts. Perhaps another time, if you like. The twin boys Luke and Alex both had curly black hair and blue eyes, were really good at trumpet and clarinet, and were marching and DDR prodigies. Whereas their little sister Beka (odd, eh?) had sort of reddish hair and blue eyes and was also good at trumpet and clarinet.
Oh yeah. Version 2 of the Zilllets is when I actually started thinking about future Saline and it was the first time I thought of a super-awesome, casual but very skilled, famous and perhaps mildly secretive musical group composed of me and all my friends and whomever we thought was awesome enough to join us. Back then I called it "the Random Musical Folk" and we basically just got together at someone's house and rehearsed whatever music we wanted to for whatever gigs we could get. It was cool. Oh god it's all coming back now. We actually had a uniform, too. Black suit, white shirt, bright red bowtie. if you can figure out why, you're a dork. if you know why I picked that, and you'd need some knowledge of shs extra-curricular music options to do so, well then, you get major points. dork points, but points nonetheless. (to help you out, at some times I also imagined us having baseball caps with black caps and orange brims, and orange high-top sneakers. but I often thought that was going a bit over the top.)

Version 3 is actually not very well developed, simply because I've been concentrating more on Alex and Lily and Bell, the main characters of Enilas which are *gasp!* not zills! altho Lily manages to capture one of their hearts. I know that much. (note: Alex here is completely different from Alex above. note to joey: don't worry, Lily has no relation to David) I can tell you that like other versions, ZV3 is a set of twin boys who are awesome in many ways. They are of course musically talented. I think this is the first set that I've imagined developing in a fantastical world as opposed to a fairly real world. So all I know right now is that they've got straightish blond hair, blue eyes, a good deal of musical talent, a great deal of awesomeness, and some pretty cool powers since like, they're in a world of magic and all.

Now, for versions 2 and 3 there were also not-nearly-as-well-developed corresponding Zilllettes, which were Kyle's daughters. But all I really know about them is that they're a pair of awesome confident beautiful percussionist chicks, with curly or wavy shiny brown hair and blue eyes. So yeah.

1 comment:

  1. I always would draw pictures of the people sitting around me in class. There are a lot of the backs of people's heads in my old notebooks. I think making up stories about friends is far less creepy....actually, the full creepiness of drawing my classmates is starting to descend upon me down...shoot....I am a creeper.

    ReplyDelete