So at some point between my last post and now, I got to thinking as to why the most recent Zilllet set isn't really developed. I knew that at some point I had stopped thinking about ZV2, and started thinking about the future spirits of Alex and Lily, and later Bell, and then sometime later ZV3 was sort of haphazardly thrown into the mix of awesomeness. And I thought, well, why did I ever switch to Alex and Lily? and then I remembered: I switched to Alex and Lily because any chances of Luke and Alex (ZV2) existing had suddenly dissolved. That is, Joey no longer had a girlfriend, and because I'm lame and no one tells me anything, I was notified of this via facebook. I think it was right before a midterm too. Anyway, at that point I figured I should stop imagining crazy adventures of their kids, and so I did.
Problem was, that meant I didn't have any cool stuff to imagine anymore. And my brain likes imagining things. It seems to want to imagine crazy stuff. So for a few months it was alright, while I stuffed information into it like crazy. And then, at some point, probably one weekend when I was home, it seized on new material. Perhaps I was pondering the significance of lame ol' me managing to grab a boy while it seemed like every other hs couple was breaking up ("my god, the apocalypse must be near!") but somehow, in some way, I started wondering what my own kids would be like. I'd never had a boyfriend before, you see, so previously it had been more convenient to imagine kids of all my friends who were dating.
It's possible that the main reason I started putting things into more of a fantastical world was because I was uncomfortable imagining my own kids in the future of the real world. Sure, it was my own silly made-up future that included everyone I knew staying in Saline, but it was still sort of real in a way. Somehow it was okay to imagine them in a world that didn't actually exist, while imagining them in the actual future was weird...because what if it actually happened? So a lot of the first imaginings probably went like this:
hey...you've got a boy now...what if you stayed together...wha...hey, what about your kids?
nononononono we are not thinking about that.
why not?
cuz...cuz it's weird.
well I mean you imagined all those other kids.
that's different.
well yeah maybe but...still...you can't deny that your kids would be awesome...
shut up.
...cuz like, you're pretty smart, and he's pretty smart too...
shut up.
...and like, you've got all-around awesome looks...
pssh.
...and he's got totally awesome hair and eyes...
well, yeah...
...and he likes to dress all awesome, and at his best he's pretty sweet...
yeah...
...and you're both pretty musical...
well, yeah...
and he can clog. DUDE! what if your kids were kick-ass cloggers?!
...
no like what if they could do...like remember how you were imagining Luke and Alex with DDR? with strobe lights and flips and ridiculous awesome stuff? imagine that, but with clogging.
OMG. wait. whoawhoawhoa, there's multiple of them? I have multiple children?!
well duh! twins run in your family, so your mom says at least. and you're like, surrounded by them.
nonononononoNONONONO WE ARE NOT DOING TWINS AGAIN
but twins AWESOME! and you know it's gonna happen dude, I mean seriously.
no.
c'mon. ridiculously awesome kick-ass clogging impeccably dressed totally hot twins that are amazingly musical.
but...
a boy and a girl.
but...
and they're adorable as children.
curses. ...devious?
well of course! they're bloody twins, aren't they?
oh alright.
and so it began. and now you know the truth. Alex and Lily and Bell are my kids. If you want to be specific, mine and Kevin's kids. But of course as my relationship with Kevin changed over the months after he left for Michigan Tech (yes. Mich Tech's in enilas too. sooooooo freaking awesome.) their background changed...from legitimate biological children to illegitimate biological children to adopted children, and most recently, back to legitimate biological children. It's sort of funny though, because at first I wanted to distance myself from them so I made them as "future spirits". And the story was more focused on the RMF crew (RMF = random musical folk, the collective group of the Saline dorks I hung out with in hs + significant others + other awesome people), and the future spirits of all of our kids saving us in spectacularly awesome ways - because of course if we died then their "spirit" would die too. Then at some point I started thinking of a plotline based in the "future", where some dark menacing force had separated kids from parents. This is when the Talents (powers) started coming in.
And then Kevin broke up with me, completely shattering the plot. Eventually I settled on some setting where I was raising a bunch of Talented kids in a sort of orphanage/safe house, and Alex and Lily and Bell were included in these kids. And I think this is when things started to really develop in my mind. Now the "real" kids were in the "present" of the story. The idea of their "future spirits" faded away. By this point I was well into the whole Nerdfighter community, and those ideas of promoting "awesome" and decreasing "worldsuck" began to creep into my stories as I started making up this whole idea of a "past"...this idea of The Legends. When the RMF crew were Warriors using their Talents to protect the world of Enilas. When the faeries danced at the solstice, and when the Rose Prince and the Snowflower danced with them. When the musicians traveled the land freely, weapons discretely stashed within their instruments and uniforms, always ready for use against whatever might attack. The tales of the Rose Guard [kevin and mich tech peeps], of the Lord of Shadows and his pyromaniac minions [kevin, rusty, jack, tomas, possibly others], of Loki the Rogue [rusty], of the merry band of meandering bards [david, andrew b., andy b.r., jacob, casey, nat, possibly more], of the fiddlers and cloggers of fire and ice and their rivalry [saline/fiddlers/restrung]. yeah...I'm insane. but that's the "past". "Now" the world's not so awesome, the Warriors are no longer celebrated, Talents are practiced in secret as most people are frightened of them...but don't worry. the kids bring back the awesome. and by kids I mean alllllllll the kids. Alex, Lily, Bell, Olivia, Zilllets, Zilllettes, Kitty's kids, Rusty's kids, tehDa3m0nSpawn, David's kids, Grace's kids...good god, it's crazy! but yeah, it's pretty cool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment