Saturday, April 14, 2012

Personal Essay titled "Me" from AP Chem

Yes, I really am going to torture you with some old work from high school BUT I have decided not to include any more of the really, erm, shall we call them obsessive writings? Yeah I was really weird in high school, and sometimes when I think about what I wrote and what I did I'm like "dude, wtf." but hey, that's high school for ya.

So at the beginning of AP Chem Ms. Sparks was like "Okay we're going to be together for an entire year and it's gonna get really difficult so I want to get to know you." (I'm paraphrasing of course) and she had us write a little essay about how we saw ourselves and stuff. I can't remember if this was the actual copy that I turned in, because I remember that I felt kind of self-conscious about how honest I was in the essay, but this is the copy that I found in my stacks of papers. (I only put my initials in this version since it's on the INTERNETZ.)

*****

8/25/05
AP Chem

Me

I was born Diana R. G. in Vallejo, California on December 1, 1989. Shortly thereafter, by way of some sort of paperwork and my Canadian mom, I became a dual citizen of the US and Canada.

I started kindergarten in Napa at the age of 4, which I suppose explains how I'm pretty much the youngest person in the junior class.

We moved to Michigan when I was 5, but I didn't start at Saline - I actually started 1st grade in Paw Paw while we were renting a house, waiting for the old one to sell. Then just after my 6th birthday we moved over to Mattawan, where I spent about 8 years of my life. I met many fantastic teachers and people and friends, especially in middle school. It was in Mattawan that I got started with band, although I certainly never would have called myself a band nerd back then, as I do now. It was in Mattawan that I was accepted into the Academically Talented Youth Program, or ATYP, and became ridiculously smart in math. I went to a band camp for 3 summers in a row - just because some of my favorite teachers from Mattawan were leading there. But nothing's pleasant forever, and near the end of eighth grade, Pfizer bought Pharmacia (where my dad worked) and we had to move to Ann Arbor - or at least close to there.

And so my mom found Saline, and I decided to join the marching band, despite my doubts about it. And, actually, I didn't meet the friends I have now at freshman band camp. Oh, no. That happened gradually, throughout frosh + soph years. First one in CPE, who then introduced me to many others in the second semester, most of which I hung out with and got closer to at sophomore band camp and at lunch that year. I was invited to a party - more of a gathering, really - of this bunch Christmas break and ever since then I've felt like I actually fit in. Bit by bit I've gotten less shy - although I am still quite quiet around those I don't know well. I've discovered that I  warm up quickly to people who are friendly but with a great sense of humor. I like to laugh.

My closest friends have convinced me to stay in Marching Band, and to join Pep Band and Girl Scouts. Now I'm considering joining Quiz Bowl when it starts up again, meanwhile I'm wondering how to manage with all this stuff and homework.

Well, there's my life; but as for my personality - not so long a tale. I like to laugh. I love hanging out with my friends. I like chocolate and many other sweets. I'm not as intelligent as some think me to be. I procrastinate, though I know I shouldn't. Shiny things excite me, and I'm even a bit of a pyro. I'm an only child, and I have two pets: a brainless but adorable mutt named Bobo, and a mischievious black cat named October. I'm a fan of almost anything relating to Harry Potter, Queen, Monty Python, marching band, or Lewis Black. Also, I like almost every sort of music - except heavy metal and most country.

Finally, the only time I want all eyes on me is if I'm talking with my closest friends. I hate being put on the spot - truly I have no leadership skills at all, even though all the institutions seem to think that if you get good grades and take honors classes, you're a leader. (Both some national fancy leadership conference and NHS tried to get me.) So why did I join Girl Scouts? Because my friends wanted me to, and I wanted to be included - I don't like being left out. That may seem contradictory to what I said above, but it's not. I don't like being in the spotlight; I don't like being left out. I prefer to stay hidden in the crowd - a bit like marching band, actually, and I am quite a band nerd.

*****

So yeah. There's that. Honestly I feel like my vision of myself hasn't changed all that much. Well, maybe it has, but that's still kind of a good summary, except now I also have a goofy golden retriever named Iris, and I've been dating an awesome guy that I love for long enough that I've stopped keeping track and have to think about it every time someone asks me...oh, and I graduated from a big university tons of people have heard of with a degree in super-nerdiness...hehe, I mean engineering...oh, and I'm going off to grad school in Amherst, MA in the fall (eep!). The activities have changed, and stuff has happened, and maybe I'm a little less quiet, but that's still pretty much me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment