Kat I first met in 3rd hour 1st semester. Frosh year. CPE [Career Preparation and Exploration]. The worst, least-liked, most useless class in the history of high school. I came in before her and sat down next to a shy-looking girl with light blond hair. See, I really didn't know anyone in the class because it was the 1st day of school and I was new in town. So I did what I always do in those situations - find someone who looks shy and friendly and sit by them, hoping to friends. I found out later that her name was Lisa Olberg.
Kat walked in a few minutes later, quite casually, with her backpack on. This she slung on top of the table, before sitting down in a chair at the end of the table next to me and putting her feet up on the table and grinning (or maybe it was me that was grinning, and she was cocking her eyebrow). I could be exaggerating, but I suppose I'll never know until she reads this, which won't be for a few days because she's up at Mackinac right now, but she's supposed to come back the day after Labor Day, so hopefully I'll see her at the afternoon rehearsal that day. [and at the moment she's sitting in the same room as I am, lol.] I'm getting off track.
My first impression of Kat was that she was a rebel. But I liked her instantly. When I got bored and started writing one of my nonsense stories, she asked if she could read it and I said yes. Seconds later, she cocked an eyebrow at me and I grinned.
Kat was one of my first friends in Saline. She writes stories and she has a website. She was [why the frick do I keep referring to her in the past tense?!] the one who introduced me to basically everyone in these stories. She was in my English class, as well as my World History class. But I should probably get back to the Zills now. Don't worry. I'll have plenty to say about Kat when I start the section about CUDDLING. [ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god. yeah I never really did that, I think...] And since The U of M Concert would make a great transition into CUDDLING, and I was on the subject of poetry earlier...
Romeo and Juliet
...and Jacob Walker as "the Stabbed Guy"!I promise I'll do Shrek 2 next. I just can't believe that I nearly forgot about this.
Like every other freshman English class in SHS, we had to read William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. At the end of the unit, we had to do a project - we could either act something out (by ourselves or with friends) or write a report. Some people (like Katelyn and Sarah) did it live, others (like Matt [Brodie], David, and the Zills) videotaped it and then played it for the class. Some were like the play, some were a little odd, and some were hilarious.
Matt Brodie, David Rhine, Joey Zill, Kyle Zill, and Jacob Walker created one of the funniest homemade videos ever. It was a strange-yet-funny portrayal of the biggest fight scene in the classic love story, in a combined style of Monty Python, Star Wars, and complete randomness. It truly looked like they had done it the day before, gathering in someone's backyard with a camera and some cheap plastic lightsabers.
Then there was Maura, Andrew, Mai, and Kelsey's version - YAY POPSICLE STICKS!
And now onto the movie.
There have been many movies of Romeo and Juliet, but the one we watched was the most recent one, made in the 90s, with Leonardo DiCaprio. Is there any movie where he doesn't play a cute guy that the lead girl becomes hopelessly in love with, to the point of obsession; and then he DIES, because of some ironic mishap or understanding? (Yes I know that's a run-on) It happened in R+J, it happened in Titanic, and I haven't seen any of his other movies.
This movie had updated the scenery and props, but not the words. The swords and knives were guns; Mercutio was an insane, cross-dressing, party-going black guy who used drugs (who was later killed by a piece of glass); the Apothecary was a drug dealing hobo-looking guy in a cheap condo; the Prince Escalus was the mayor; the balcony scene turned into a very wet pool scene with much stalker behavior and even more kissing; Paris was a super-nerd (perhaps in the next remake he could be played by Ken Jennings...hmm...); neither Romeo nor Juliet seem to notice ANYTHING at the right points; Juliet sounds demented when she cries; and EVERYONE wears Hawaiian shirts - yet- HOLY ST. FRANCIS! - everyone is still talking in Elizabethan English.
yeah this is too long now. next post will be The Pool Scene and possibly starting Shrek 2.

No comments:
Post a Comment